Wings of Angels http://recoverwithangels.com/

My name is Linda Fisher, and the idea for my Gift Baskets came to me after undergoing a double mastectomy in January 2003.

Wings of Angels (www.recoverwithangels.com) has beautifully designed baskets for the recovering breast cancer surgery patient -- easing discomfort and to help calm the spirit, relieve stress and anxiety.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"The Girls" are Great!, but Feeling Blue...Recovery is Going Well

I’m healing well.  Got a shower – Yippee!  That made me feel so much better.  On Monday, I get the stitches out.   I’m taking it easy around the house.  Can’t lift more than five pounds, and I get tired easy.  But no big pain problems, so that’s good!
What’s surprising is what I’m feeling.  This surgery brought back a lot of the feelings from when I first had breast surgery – my double mastectomy in 2003.  So much of our self-worth, our womanhood, is tied to our breasts.  I’ve been feeling bluer than I thought I would.  Not so much “Wow – I made it this long”, but this experience opened up the wounds of the impact that breast cancer has had on me as a woman.  Will the implants make me look and feel better about myself?  Here I am hoping that the implants make me feel more like a “normal” woman, even though they are fake and don’t have feeling.  They look a whole lot better, and I’m happy for the outcome.  But overall, surprised that I’m feeling somewhat blue rather than joyous.   I guess that’s part of the breast cancer journey.  You’re a cancer survivor for the rest of your life.
Warmly,

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment